[AJD] What are failed Master Brake Cylinder Symptoms?

Bruce Mahr martian at winco.net
Wed Jul 13 20:52:56 PDT 2005

Dean: Were the brakes OK after filling the master cylinder with fluid? If
they were then you need to rebuild or replace the master cylinder.
If the problem showed up after filling the master cylinder, then you need to
bleed the entire system, because air in it is causing your problem.
Air in the lines and bad seals in the master cylinder will both give you the
problem you have, so it depends on when it showed up which you should do
first.
Wheel cylinders can leak enough from setting to empty the master cylinder
without any visible evidence at any of the wheels for quite a long time, due
to brake dust and dirt inside soaking up the fluid before it becomes visible
on the outside.
Also the vacuum booster cylinder can leak into the vacuum chamber and will
drain the master cylinder but not show up externally.
Your problem is definitely air, but why depends on too many things. I would
try bleeding the system first.
I deal with this on my customers farm trucks all the time because of setting
most of the year.

Bruce Mahr