[AJD] GP valve guide problems

Dee Schuyler web22hsz at verizon.net
Wed Jul 13 19:54:34 PDT 2005

John
As no one else has responded , let me put in my two cents worth. The fellas
that have dealt with this I would imagine
are the Ostranders , Paul & Michael but I bet they are very busy with the
Show Schedule.
With my GP I was fortunate in that the engine was fine in the compression &
valve dept,
Now when you have a problem  with the finals and brakes
I may be able to help more! That said, I do not quite understand your
machine shops  inability to get the block under the milling machine? I have
a old Bridgeport J head
and I will bet the block would have plenty of room? Unless I am clear out in
left field?
First thing I would check is where is the slop? Again most of my experience
is with D tractors , but D valves are notorious
for the stem to be worn bad. But if it is indeed just guide wear I would
think most any competent shop could press them out, and if new ones are not
available , they are a simple lathe & mill project.
You might be ahead to get a second shop opinion?
Dee