[AT] What are failed Master Brake Cylinder Symptoms?

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Wed Jul 13 19:06:59 PDT 2005

I have a brake problem all of a sudden on 68 Ford N600. Brake pedal took
several pumps to develop pressure, then bleeds off under pressure. If not
used for e few minutes takes several pumps again to get pressure and then
bleeds down slowly under peddle pressure.   No improvement over time. Can't
tell if all four wheels are getting brake activity but there isn't much
braking power at all even under heavy foot peddle pressure. Fluid level ok
and not dropping. Something is terribly amiss but I don't know how to
isolate the problem?  Master Brake Cylinder? Vacuum assist leaking? All four
hub cylinders leaking? Leaking line? (No loss of fluid right now but Master
Cylinder went dry over the winter during non-use!) A bunch of air in the
lines?

I don't recall having brakes fail this drastically before or not eventually
self bleed. I'm really confused. Where do I start to diagnose the problem?
Can this just be a Master Cylinder failure or is it something else? Sure not
safe to drive this way.

I'm reluctant to start throwing parts at the problem until I know for sure
what is wrong. Not sure I've ever had this major of brake failure before. I
need help.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door