[Steam-engine] Medina Lawsuit Settlements

BETH VANARSDALL 24port at accesstoledo.com
Wed Jul 13 16:04:12 PDT 2005

Hi Dan & everyone else,

I have a cynical view of the whole deal after witnessing the silly behavior
that happens with life events first hand when my sister-in-law was killed in
a farm accident.

The "simple" answer as to why the family is suing Schrock & Kunkle would be
lack of taking responsibility for operator error and saying it was someone
else's fault.  We won't even broach the subject of greedy lawyers, lack of
logical thinking, deep pockets, etc.

The points of whether Schrock knew the crown sheet was thin or not really do
not matter when the boiler was run out of water. (read operator error.)  The
point of the safety not lifting at 200# in a test after the engine blew up
and was reportedly sandblasted prior to the accident really do not matter
when flash steam happens. (again, read operator error.)  Only the operators
really know what happened and they have passed on.  We are only guessing
what happened.

The bottom line is that this event has caused an indeterminable amount of
pain & suffering for the victims, the responsible family (they still lost
loved ones, even though we deem it his fault), and the hobby industry.
Insurance rates have gone sky high, inspections are mandatory (not a bad
thing--if the inspector understands the business), and a general unease that
has settled.  It has caused some good discussions, but we all have to make
sure we have facts.

Off to load my Port to head for Five Points.

Safe & intelligent steaming to all!

Beth