[AT] RE: Vintage tractor pulling advice

DAVIESW739 at aol.com DAVIESW739 at aol.com
Wed Jul 13 09:54:14 PDT 2005

When I was into drag racing we always kept a set of new plugs that we put  in
just before racing to insure that we would be in top condition. When running
at full power for even a short distance everything has to be just perfect. I
set  the timing up by slowly advancing it till its at peak performance. This
is not  always best for normal driving but when you are running at full power
you need  to have everything setup just for that. I lower my tire pressure so
that the  tires will crinkle around the rim but not enough to slip this will
give maximum  grab on the  surface. They should be at about 10 to 12 lbs. You
need to  test this at home before going to the pull. A lot of prep at home will
hopefully  keep you from looking bad when the flag drops. Most antique pulls
will not allow  tires that have been shaved down as they don't let you to spin
all the way down  the tract like the big guys do. I run with the front tires
about 6 to 8 inches  off the ground that puts maximum load on the rear but
makes it hard to steer.
 We are there to have fun not to be the biggest baddest guy on the  block.
The largest pulling club around here runs two classes one for us regular  guys
and one for the guys who constantly win due to having there tractors in  better
than normal condition (IE hopped up).
Its mostly a place to see just  how good your tractor is not how many
trophies you can collect.
At Brookes  we have two pulling areas one for fun and one competition I like
the fun pulls  they are setup for those of us who just like to have fun and
show off a  little.  Brookes is coming up the 30/31 of July and 6/7 of august I
hope to  see some of you there this year.

Walt Davies
Cooper Hollow  Farm
Monmouth, OR 97361
503 623-0460