[AT] RE: Vintage tractor pulling advice

Andy Glines andyglines at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 13 06:44:18 PDT 2005

Sounds like fun Grant.  I wouldn't make the first try or two too
complicated.  I'm not sure of the characteristics of the Wallis but
sometimes those rear steel will really dig in and might not spin out.  For
some reason I have visions of the old Forson tractors rearing up.  Be handy
with the clutch.  Does the Wallis have a water pump and thermostat?  My F-20
has neither and it barely pulls itself before it is warmed up.  Make sure
you have achieved operating temp before hooking to the sled.  Idling for
long periods (about 2 minutes with the F-20 grin) can cause some of the
older tractors with less sophisticated carbs to "load up".  Have her warmed
up and cleaned out when you hook and it will be fun.  Also remember to hold
your tongue just right!