[AT] RE: Vintage tractor pulling advice

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Wed Jul 13 07:24:20 PDT 2005

On 13 Jul 2005 at 9:44, Andy Glines wrote:

> Sounds like fun Grant.  I wouldn't make the first try or two too
> complicated.  I'm not sure of the characteristics of the Wallis but
> sometimes those rear steel will really dig in and might not spin out.  For
> some reason I have visions of the old Forson tractors rearing up.  Be handy
> with the clutch.  Does the Wallis have a water pump and thermostat?  My F-20
> has neither and it barely pulls itself before it is warmed up.  Make sure
> you have achieved operating temp before hooking to the sled.  Idling for
> long periods (about 2 minutes with the F-20 grin) can cause some of the
> older tractors with less sophisticated carbs to "load up".  Have her warmed
> up and cleaned out when you hook and it will be fun.  Also remember to hold
> your tongue just right!

	Sounds like good advice. Back when I used the Super M and SMTA for plowing I almost
always ran a gear lower (2nd) for the first round due to the power difference. I suppose
ideal would be to run something like a dyno for a while first so that the plugs would be
extra clean.
	Should be fun.

--
"farmer", Esquire
At Hewick Midwest

Paternal Robinson's here by way of Norway (Clan Gunn), Scottish Highlands,
Cleasby Yorkshire England, Virginia, Kentucky then Indiana. In America 100
years
before the revolution.

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA