[AJD] GP Fluid Levels

Luke Tonneberger jdgp1930 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 12 16:19:27 PDT 2005

Hi Everyone,

On my 1930 GP how do I know I have enough fluid in my
transmission? I know that you add fluid through the
large plug in the cover plate that is on top of the
transmission. I've looked all over the transmission
casting for an oil level/overflow plug and can't find
one anywhere. Where is it?

Also wondering the same thing for the fluid level on
the rear end. On the left side I found a plug in the
main casting just above where the axle leaves the
large main casting. Let's call that the 12 o'clock
position. I assume this is the filler plug? Directly
below the filler plug at the bottom of the casting, 6
o'clock position, is a smaller plug. This I assume is
the drain plug? Then from the drain plug is another
plug at about the 5 o'clock position. Is this the oil
level/overflow plug?

On the right side for the rear end I am lost. Looking
for the drain plug in the same spot as the left side
(6 o'clock position) I find a boss that appears it
wasn't drilled and tapped. I feel this must be the
drain plug with possibly a broken off pipe plug in the
hole? Directly above this boss about 2 inches IS a
pipe plug. This one must be the oil level/overflow
plug? Where is the filler plug on the right side rear
end casting?

I hope your not totally lost. I tried to describe it
the best I could. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Luke Tonneberger
Rockford, Michigan
USA