[AT] Vintage tractor pulling advice

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Tue Jul 12 12:02:33 PDT 2005

Grant:

Typically tractors with steel lugged wheels are asked to be the last to
pull. However, that can get a bit messy if there are multiple weight classes
with steel wheeled tractors in each.  It kind of depends on how easy it is
to set up the sled for each weight class. However, it sounds like this won't
highly leverage competition so it may not be all that big a deal.

First thing you need to find out is what the pull rules are.  First the
weight classes need to be established and then some safety rules need to be
established about how high the hook point can be and the minimum distance
the hook point can be behind the centerline of the rear axle. Around here
the maximum height is 20" to 21" and the minimum behind the real axle is
18". This varies a bit around the country. Another safety rule is that the
front end cannot rise above the ground more than some number before being
disqualified.

A lot of the rules are dictated by the type of sled used and how it is
connected to the tractor. Safety should be very high on the list as serious
accidents are very possible. And Spectators should be kept away at a safe
distance.

Now as far as how to be competitive it depends on a lot of variables that
are too numerous to list here. However, one wants to try to achieve a
balance of weight and HP so the tractor runs out of traction and power at
about the same point. Keeping the front end close or just lightly on the
ground is the optimum point to achieve maximum traction with a progressive
sled. Some pulls dictate that only first gear can be used or have a maximum
speed limit. With a very good and high traction track low gears are usually
better. On a loose track sometimes 2nd gear is better if you don't run out
of HP first.

The only way to find out all the correct settings of the hitch and weight
distribution is through practice runs. Some pulls run a day or two of
practice runs before the actual competition.

There are just too many variables to describe what is best for a given
tractor. Typically a steel wheeled tractor will not achieve as good a pull
as an equivalent rubber tired one will.

Just be careful out there and have fun.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290