[Farmall] Manifold Studs

Larry L Hardesty hardestyll at unk.edu
Tue Jul 12 09:36:02 PDT 2005

Roger and John,  Thanks for the help.  I will try to be patient.  I sure
do not want a broken stud down in the hole!!

Larry

Larry Hardesty
Kearney, Nebraska 68849-2240
308-865-8535
308-865-8722 fax
hardestyll at unk.edu

Roger Moffat <rogerkiwi at aol.com>
Sent by: farmall-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com
07/12/2005 10:16 AM
Please respond to
Farmall/IHC mailing list <farmall at lists.antique-tractor.com>

cc

Subject
Re: [Farmall] Manifold Studs

On Jul 12, 2005, at 9:44 AM, Larry L Hardesty wrote:

> John,  Thanks,  I got the nut off the one stud by heating it up and
> letting it cool.  The real challenge is getting the stud out that is
> broken.  It broke off far enough up that I can get a nut on it.   I
> probably will take the tractor to my nephew and weld the nut on and
> work
> from there...hoping I do not break the stud off further down.  It
> probably
> has only been a in the tractor for 61 years....you would think they
> would
> make them to last!  : )

One thing you might try is to heat the stud up red, without getting
too much heat on the manifold and then quench the stud. This will
cause it to shrink and may allow for an easier time getting it out.

Roger