[AJD] Plow for '35 D

Steve Treimer steelerhawk at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 11 14:33:53 PDT 2005

Gary,
I agree with Dean, a 2x16" would be pretty good especially if you have to climb up any hills while plowing assuming you can't always plowing against the contour of the hill.
You might try getting a narrow chisel plow with more success, if you have as many rocks as you describe.  You could successively go deeper and the rocks would flow around the shanks a little better than plow bottoms.  Not exactly vintage look though......
Steve

Gary Epps <garyepps at fidnet.com> wrote:
I have no experience plowing. So I am at a loss as to what size plow I
should be looking for. I want to plow under a aged fescue hay field so
I can replant with something more conducive to a quail population.
There is some top soil, but the soil? here is mostly rock with enough
clay to hold it all together. I am located on the top of an Ozark
mountain (big hill).

What should I be looking for a two bottom or a three bottom, 14" or 16"?
I know plows have been discussed in the not too distant past on the
list, but not with respect to what a D should handle in rough soil. It
has been stated that when you buy land in the Ozarks, you don't
necessarily get dirt with it. Any advice as to what I should focus on?

Gary
--
In the Ozark Mountains of South Central USA where both life and I move
at a leisurely pace.