[Farmall] F-20 runs

Karl Olmstead olmstead at ridgenet.net
Mon Jul 11 08:51:10 PDT 2005

For the most part, I agree, but it wasn't running well enough to pull
anything heavier than its own shadow the other day.  Along with blowing out
the carbon, I need to check valve clearances, although I expect to find no
problems there, since the engine has plenty of compression.

It has that big, T-20 type manifold with the hot/cold valve, and the valve
is not in good shape.  I'm hopin' that it isn't stuck in the 'hot' position,
which does no good when running on gasoline.  But you're right.  Once I get
it running well enough to pull the drag, I'll work it hard.

The T-20 has been running great, so I put its carb on the F-20 over the
weekend.  But I'm still working on the oil filter mount.  The original is
pretty well shot; too many years of being overtightened have distorted the
pot metal bracket quite badly.  I pulled one off one of my parts T-20, but
it also has some problems.  One more to go, off other parts T-20, but it has
a control rod running through it that I haven't been able to get off so far.
Maybe tonight.

If anything, the situation on F-20 oil filter mounts is even worse than it
is on F-12s.  Repeated overtightening severely distorts the mount, causing
more leaks.  And so far, every mount I've removed has the bottom third of
the mounting flange broken off.  I'm going to have to do some creative work
with PC-7 epoxy and my mill to make a new gasket groove which is square and
concentric with cannister mounting bolt.

I'll get there, but I figure the oil leak needs to get fixed before I run
the engine much more.  The short run last week made a real mess, as well as
wasting some good motor oil.

-Karl