[AT] now Powerstrokes

Ronald L. Cook rlcook at pionet.net
Sun Jul 10 09:41:59 PDT 2005

Dean,

>Charlie:
>
>You are correct; I am talking about the relatively new 6.0L Diesel Engine
>used in Ford trucks. When I purchased my F250 new in 2003, Ford was offering
>both engines, the 6.0 or 7.3L as an option. In 2004 and 2005 models, the
>7.3L was no longer available.
>
>The 6.0L engine offers more Torque and better gas mileage than the 7.3L,
>however, before I made a decision, I picked up some chatter on the Web about
>the early birthing problems with the 6.0L engine and also didn't like the
>fact that the normal RPM range had been increased significantly to achieve
>the higher performance. My gut was telling me that that might mean the
>engine wouldn't last as long.
>
>So I made a decision to stay with the 7.3L engine as it has had years of
>quite reliable service. I've pulled heavy loads cross country with it
>several times and it has been trouble free. I've been over 19,000lbs GCVW at
>times pulling through the Rocky Mountains and several other mountain ranges.
>When it gets into the passes it just growls a bit more. Mileage has been
>acceptable. On one trip, heavily loaded, I averaged 14.2 MPG on the
>interstate including the passes. I really can't complain about that.  I have
>heard of 6.0L engine equipped trucks averaging over 15 MPG while heavily
>loaded. (snip)

That is because there is no substitution for cubic inches.  All old
hotrodders and cropdusters are aware of this as are Dutch insomniacs.
<g>  The smaller engines show good figures in the brochures, but I think
they are just some sort of cost cutting for the manufacturer and really
don't deliver as advertised.  The final gearing to the road is what
determines the running rpm for the "sweet spot".  I happen to run 454 ci
Chevrolet gasoline engines in my pickups.  Sweet spots are the same as your
Ford.  Mileage is, of course, less.  Since you raised the cost of diesel,
cost is the same and I don't need a stepladder to get in.

Hot and humid here today.  An air conditioned shop would be nice!  I am
finishing the top overhaul on my sprayer.  1340 ci by the way, if you
remember the AT-6. <g>  This thing is costing me an arm and a leg.  I may
be clear out of the collecting business by the time this is all over.

Ron Cook
Salix, IA