[AJD] Calcium Chloride in wheels, How to deal with it

Gary Epps garyepps at fidnet.com
Sat Jul 9 11:15:00 PDT 2005

A suitable tank can consist of a shallow hole in the ground lined with
thick plastic sheeting, or avoid digging the hole and drape the plastic
over a low wall of concrete block, railroad ties, logs etc.  It will
work just as well as buying a tank.

Gary

Chris C wrote:
> Keith and John,
>
>     Now that sounds like just the sort of backyard
> experiment I want to do!  I'm going to go look for a
> suitable tank this weekend!  And perhaps some
> directions...
>
>                 Chris
> --- Keith Kinney <kkinney at herculesengines.com> wrote:
>

>>I wonder if you would put it in a electrolysis bath
>>if it wouldn't take the
>>calcium out of the rim.  It is my understanding this
>>is the same process
>>marine archiologist use to get the salt out of
>>cannons and other iron
>>objects that have been under the sea for hundreds of
>>years.
>>Keith
>>

>>At 04:20 PM 7/7/2005, you wrote:
>>
>>>Chris,
>>>You can't neutralize the Calcium Chloride
>>
>>whatsoever, it's a salt, lots of
>>
>>>it found in seawater.  The best you can hope for is
>>
>>to rinse the living
>>
>>>daylights out of your rims, but I have been told
>>
>>that the calcium salt
>>
>>>gets into the rust pits and aggravates a bad
>>
>>situation further.  I can
>>
>>>imagine a sandblasting/grinding followed by
>>
>>tremendous washing and soaking
>>
>>>if you can do it, wouldn't get most of the calcium
>>
>>salt washed out of the
>>
>>>pores.  If after doing all that completely sealing
>>
>>out oxygen on both
>>
>>>sides of the rim (to keep the oxygen away from the
>>
>>iron) using vinyl wash
>>
>>>or phosphate treatment, priming, and painting would
>>
>>be the limits I would
>>
>>>go to before buying new rims.
>>>FWIW,
>>>Steve
>>>
>>>Chris C <jdnutinwa at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>howdy all,
>>>
>>>I have two tractors (4 rear wheels) that are filled
>>
>>with Calcium, I am
>>
>>>planning on dismounting the tires, cleaning them
>>
>>out, sandblasitng the
>>
>>>wheels, and putting new tubes in. I am wondering if
>>
>>anyone has ever used a
>>
>>>chemical treatment of some sort to neutralize the
>>
>>Calcium Chloride? On my
>>
>>>JD 40 I sandblasted the rear wheels and painted
>>
>>them as well as bought new
>>
>>>tired and tubes, now, serveral years later, I can
>>
>>see signs of the calcium
>>
>>>causing the wheels to rust. (This tractor has been
>>
>>stored inside) Anyone
>>
>>>have the solution to getting rid of the calcium
>>
>>once and for all?
>>
>>>Chris

In the Ozark Mountains of South Central USA where both life and I move
at a leisurely pace.