[AT] now Powerstrokes

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Sat Jul 9 12:48:01 PDT 2005

Charlie:

You are correct; I am talking about the relatively new 6.0L Diesel Engine
used in Ford trucks. When I purchased my F250 new in 2003, Ford was offering
both engines, the 6.0 or 7.3L as an option. In 2004 and 2005 models, the
7.3L was no longer available.

The 6.0L engine offers more Torque and better gas mileage than the 7.3L,
however, before I made a decision, I picked up some chatter on the Web about
the early birthing problems with the 6.0L engine and also didn't like the
fact that the normal RPM range had been increased significantly to achieve
the higher performance. My gut was telling me that that might mean the
engine wouldn't last as long.

So I made a decision to stay with the 7.3L engine as it has had years of
quite reliable service. I've pulled heavy loads cross country with it
several times and it has been trouble free. I've been over 19,000lbs GCVW at
times pulling through the Rocky Mountains and several other mountain ranges.
When it gets into the passes it just growls a bit more. Mileage has been
acceptable. On one trip, heavily loaded, I averaged 14.2 MPG on the
interstate including the passes. I really can't complain about that.  I have
heard of 6.0L engine equipped trucks averaging over 15 MPG while heavily
loaded.

But I have also learned that speed is the real factor in MPG performance
much more so than load. The sweet spot on my truck seems to be in the 60 MPH
to 65 MPH range. Once past that, the MPG starts dropping off noticeably.  I
found that just staying in the right lane running at a couple of MPH slower
than the normal right lane traffic allowed me to relax a bit and keep a safe
distance behind the traffic ahead. That doesn't work in the heavily
populated city areas but it sure is nice across the prairies. I90, West of
Sioux Falls, SD is a dream to drive when heavily loaded. I am unable say the
same about I80 almost anywhere West of Moline, IL.

But you can blame me for the fact that Diesel Fuel is now more expensive
than normal gasoline. It seems like Diesel fuel started rising and passed
normal gasoline prices right after I bought my diesel truck. All in all if I
ever bought another truck, which I don't ever plan to do, I'd still stay
with the diesel engine.  I like the extra lugging power. YMMV.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door

www.deerelegacy.com