[AT] Oil Filter question

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Sat Jul 9 06:12:48 PDT 2005

Older Allis Chalmers, Case and maybe some other tractors use a rag filled
oil filter that is presure fed into the filter media via a small tube that
extends up into the filter.   I just bought  2 filters yesterday that are
WIX brand (good filters) but they are no longer rag filled.
Now they have a rubber bladder inside that the oil tube goes up into.
Around the bladder their is an air space and then some filter media around
the perimeter of the filter canister.

It looks like a good design but unfortunately my D-14 won't build proper oil
presure with this filter.   AC used the rag filter to "regulate" oil presure
by restricting the flow through the filter media.
I assume that this new filter design is made to do the same thing but it
doesn't seem to work.   With the old rag filter my oil presure guage moves
the needle to about the middle of the guage.  With the new filter it barely
moves off the low presure peg.

I checked the WIX web site and they show this filter #51101 as the proper
filter for my tractor however they show it as obsolete and say it is
replaced by #57011 ( I think that is the number).  Does anyone one have
experience with this new design or information about the filter change,
etc.?

Everyone around here is out of stock on these filters.  Both the local NAPA
stores show it as back ordered from their distribution center.  I had to
drive 35 miles one way to get this filter and I bought 2 at $12.99 each.  I
need to run the tractor.  I guess I'll just  put the old one back on.

Thanks

Charlie