[AT] Picking up my TD-18A today

jim davidson 0xdeadbeef at lasencinasranch.com
Sat Jul 9 08:37:01 PDT 2005

Not only did the trucks and trailers perform well, the guys driving them
jumped right in and helped... By the end of the day, everyone was filthy!
They didn't have to do that, they could easily have stood back and just
watched my friends and I work, nobody would have thought less of them. I
tipped them well, and had to argue with them to get them to take my money.
One guy (the young kid who delivered the D6) just thought it was so cool to
be recovering an old tractor, he called it "helping the cause". Darn, that
means I really need to get working on it!!!

On a scarier note, we did have a near disaster: on the way out, the Murray
trailer with the D6 on it high-centered. While we watched, the driver moved
the D6 back to raise up the front of the trailer. Worked great, except for
one little thing: he hadn't set the brakes on the rig. So, the whole thing
took off down the hill, with nobody at the wheel, and the dozer not chained
down! Fortunately, we were close enough, everyone started sprinting for the
cab. I won. I swear, as it went by, I made it across that trailer so fast, I
only set one foot on it, in the middle. Hopped in the cab, eased on the
brakes ('cuz the dozer was up on the steel pad at the rear), and everything
was A-OK. Had a few jokes about clean underware with the driver after that.
He was a little shook. Wasn't much of a hill, but anything that heavy moving
on it's own is scary!

Another interesting thing: it's amazing how sharply those roll-backs will
turn. He was able to put the crawler right where I wanted it (everyone wants
one in the front yard, right?) without blinking. And, we live on a narrow
dirt road, with a couple of sharp 90 turns. No sweat!

Moral of the story: with the right crew, they can do the impossible and make
it look easy! I'm proud to call them my friends, and to have made some
friends too!

JIM :)