[Steam-engine] lap seam boiler pressure

Lawrence Swanz LSwanz at superioriron.com
Fri Jul 8 04:40:29 PDT 2005

Chas,

To answer a few of your questions, here in Minnesota it is assumed that the boiler plate is 55,000 tensile strength, unless stamped otherwise (refer to TS in the formula layout I sent yesterday).  As for figuring the "Diameter of rivet after driving", it is nothing more than knowing or making an educated guess of the original thickness of material after ultra sound readings are taken.  Then simply look the plate thickness up in the chart and match to the number given on the right.  According to your earlier email, you stated that your boiler was .375" thick and has an inside dia. of 24".  With knowing the plate thickness the chart gives you a driven rivet size of .8125".  Some of the gray areas that you have left are, what is the pitch between rivets at the joint?, The 24" inside dia., is this the firebox?  If so, what is the inside diameter of the barrel?

Keep in mind, so far we have been talking about the barrel.  What is the spacing of the staybolts in the firebox?  What is the thickness readings of the firebox material?

Without seeing your boiler, assuming that it is in fairly good shape, I would say that the boiler shouldn't have any problems obtaining a certification.  However, I know from a friends experience, he had to have a coupling welded to a flue for a fusible plug location that wasn't present during inspection.  So don't be surprised if this is required of you.  Even though on earlier engines, the fusible plug was threaded directly to the flue casing.

I hope that the information I have given you will help.

Lawrence