[AT] smoking/gas bottles, now O.T.

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Thu Jul 7 22:20:43 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "ken knierim" <wild1 at cpe-66-1-196-61.az.sprintbbd.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group"
<at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2005 11:38 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] smoking/gas bottles, now O.T.

> On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 18:26, DAVIESW739 at aol.com wrote:
> > The military ones are couldn't say for the  civilian models.
>
> I looked under the hood at one... definitely gas powered; pretty sure
it
> had a GM 350 gas engine (CRS). Apparently you could get a diesel as an
> option. H2 models are (I think) exclusively gasoline and constantly
> thirsty. Someone told me (and I don't know otherwise) that the H2's
are
> basically a Denali frame with different sheet metal. Many of the folks
> see with H2's could get by with an Escalade... they get more use
status
> symbol than a 4 wheel drive vehicle.
>
> Ah, well... I gripe about buying gas for my Blazer. I can't imagine
> buying a NEW vehicle. :^)
>
> Ken

H1- Diesel ( Duramax 6.6L ) Allison auto. Original Hummer, purpose built
chassis, gear reduction hubs with 16" of ground clearance
Dressed up with insulation and padded interior. Still as rugged as the
military model, just more comfortable.

H2- Gas ( Vortec 6.0L ) First civilian only vehicle. Actually nothing
more than a chopped Chevy Yukon  chassis with a body styled after the
H1.
9.5" ground clearance.

H2 SUT- Gas  ( Vortec 6.0L ), Hummer version of the Avalanche

H3- Gas (Vortec 3.5L). Only Hummer vehicle that has a manual trans
available. Based on the Trailblazer chassis.

They all have the aerodynamics of a brick on stilts. The H1 handles
pretty good IF you pay attention. The H2 is top heavy and wallows like a
pig.
Have been in one H3 so far. Think SARDINES.