[AT] smoking/gas bottles

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Jul 7 05:53:21 PDT 2005

Chris is right about propane not being all the much of a problem in open
air, and (very fortunately for thousands of smokers) a burning cigarette
isn't hot enough to ignite most petroleum products' fumes. Incidentally,
that pungent smell of natural or bottled gas comes from stuff that the
producers add to the product - the gas itself has no strong odor
otherwise. (A few years ago, a bottle of the stuff at a local utility
company headquarters broke and the smell got into the HVAC system. They
ended up evacuating 6 square blocks in the middle of downtown before
they found out what the problem was!)

Still, it is obviously unwise to have any kind of open flame in the
vicinity of flammable liquids and gas. In another incident, a guy was
cutting up an old tank with an oxy-acetylene torch and blew himself
right through a brick wall when the residue of whatever had been in the
tank exploded.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

  "The important thing is not to stop questioning"
            Albert Einstein (1879-1955), US (German-born) physicist