[AT]Left-hand Implements

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Wed Jul 6 15:35:56 PDT 2005

At 12:13 PM 6/18/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Somewhere in the deep recesses of my "former" mind, I seem to remember
>discussion about the fact that John Deere (and maybe some other brands)
>built their combines "left-handed".  The model 12 was one such design.
>If I remember right, this discussion was from a group that was talking
>about the old Ertl and other brand farm toys.
>
>Larry

Practically everything Allis Chalmers made was "left-handed."  I had an
uncle who owned a AC #60 All-Crop combine, an AC Round baler (which in our
area were called biscuit makers), and an AC chopper.  All of these machines
were left-handed.  A neighbor had a Dearborn cornpicker, and it was also
left-handed.   On a somewhat related note, Allis Chalmers also made a
front-unloading manure spreader.  Basically it was just like a normal
three-beater manure spreader, but pulled backwards.  A metal enclosure
between the beaters and the tractor kept the final "product" from landing
on the operator.  I remember seeing one as a kid, but obviously they never
caught on.

Greg Hass