[AT] RE: Selling things and hurricanes.....NOW: Potato diggers

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Wed Jul 6 15:29:54 PDT 2005

Due to a long period now of problems with our ISP, this and some other
topics I will reply to are old so I will include parts of the original letter.

 From Cecil Monson:
"That reminds me that I have one more thing that has to go. It is a pair of
IHC PTO operated one row potato diggers. One of these works just fine and
the other one is for parts. There are even more bed parts too that go with
them. I dug my potatoes with the one for a number of years and it works
very well. Even the little JD 40 tractor handles it with ease.  If you are
not familiar with potato diggers, they scoop up plant and all including the
potatoes underneath, shake the dirt off as they cross the bed of steel
rods. The dirt falls thru on to the  ground and the potatoes and vines are
dropped off the back in a windrow on top of the ground. If you use a bush
hog or rotary mower like the Woods I use, you can mow the vines off and not
have to monkey with them when picking up the potatoes. It sure is a lot
easier picking the potatoes up off the ground than trying to dig them by
hand. At $300 for both of these
machines plus the parts, I don't see how anyone could ever go wrong."

About a month a a half ago I purchased an IHC one row PTO-driven potato
digger at an auction sale.  I paid $350 for it which was more than I
thought it would go for, but I'm sure the guy bidding against me thought
the same thing.  I've not been able to run it as the PTO shaft is broken,
which I knew when I bought it.  I have a new shaft for it (as in "new" used
shaft), however it needs some modification which I haven't had time for
with other crop things to be done.  Monetarily I cannot justify the cost as
I only grow four 150 ft. long rows of potatoes, which is quite a lot of
hand digging.   Several years ago, I bought a 1-row ground-driven digger
from a neighbor for $50.  Under perfect conditions it worked "sort of
OK."  However, there were several problems. First, my garden is where the
old barnyard was 20 years ago so the ground gets mucky and soft, providing
little traction for the drive wheels.  Second, I like to provide my
potatoes with adequate shade during the growing season.  (ie: weeds)  And
third, if the ground is moist it doesn't shake through the chain fast
enough and the machine just skids, taking 20 minutes to unplug.  So, I am
really looking forward to using the PTO-driven digger where I can keep it
going at normal speed while regulating my ground speed according to
conditions.  Another change I may or may not make, depending on time, is
that this digger is hand-lift which I may change to hydraulic as I do not
have a second person to ride along and lift the digger.

Greg Hass