[AT] Replacing PTO Shaft on Ferguson TO-20

H. L. Staples hlstaples at mcloudteleco.com
Sun Jul 3 12:25:14 PDT 2005

If it hasn't been done in a while this is probably a good time to flush the
differential housing with diesel and get all the crud out of the bottom of
the case.

If the bearings are tapered roller then adjusting the pre-load with proper
shimming is in order. Probably about the same tension as on the front
spindle of a vehicle. Tapered roller bearings don't fair well when run loose
enough that end play can be felt. On the other hand not to tight either.

We replaced the PTO seal a on the Ford 2600 and its shaft has ball bearings,
so no shimming was required.

H. L. Staples
McLoud, Oklahoma
USA