[AT] F-20 Re-Power Project/Road Gear Question

DieselBob at aol.com DieselBob at aol.com
Sun Jul 3 09:18:05 PDT 2005

I recently bought the remnants of a Farmall F-20 with plans to someday put  a
small 3 cylinder 1.5 liter turbo-charged diesel I have on it, plus some
hydraulics and build up a sort of home built tractor.  It has a good  transmission
and rear wheels but no engine, tires, front wheels and bad radiator  so the
tractor was not the basis of a restoration, and in fact had already  been a
parts tractor for a restoration. The engine I have has a lot more  power at a
higher RPM but has torque similar to an F-20, so I don't foresee any  problems
with the transmission taking the power. With high  rpm it will have more
reasonable ground speeds by today's  standards.  I also need to decide how to add a
clutch to the engine  (It looks like an SAE # 4 flywheel housing - any ideas?)

Now getting to my question.  The transmission has a road gear on the  front
of it.  I was taken apart by the previous owner for parts to fix  another one,
but I believe I have most of the parts.  The drive yoke has  one ear broken
off.  It extends through the road gear's front cover and the  drive gear is on
the back side.  My question: does anybody  know how the gear is attached?
There is a thread on the backside,  as if there had been a retaining/lock nut. The
gear looks as if there might  be a thread between the gear and yoke and that
it is threaded on.   However, it makes more sense that the gear is pressed on.
 Any experience  if I should be twisting or pressing to get it off?

Bob Straub
F-12, M, 200, and partial F-20