[Ford-ferguson] Replacing PTO shaft on TO-20

SZakaluk at aol.com SZakaluk at aol.com
Sun Jul 3 05:40:32 PDT 2005

I'm about to replace the 1 1/8 inch PTO shaft on my Ferguson TO20 with a 1
3/8 inch. The old one is working OK, but leaks badly at the gasket so as long
as  I'm working on it figured to upgrade. I've got the I&T manual # FE2, and it
 seems pretty straightforward, just drain the fluid, and remove the four
bolts. I  assume using some type of liquid gasket in addition to the paper gasket
provided  would be prudent (Permatex UltraBlue silicone gasket is what I've
got on hand).
The I&T manual says to adjust shaft bearings with shims to  permit shaft to
rotate freely, yet without perceptible end play. Is this  only for the
extension drawbar application (which I don't have)? Thanks for any  advice.
Steve Zakaluk
Falcon CO