[AT] Big round baler?

Dan Folske dfolske at nccray.net
Sat Jul 2 07:50:58 PDT 2005

Very wide windrows would make it unnecessary if you had gathering wheels on
the baler. Some of the newest balers have pickups wider than the bale to
help keep the edges full. If your windrows match the width of the bales
there is still more material in the center than at the edges so even if you
don't slip a belt off of the end (much less likely with wide belts) your
bale will still be egg or barrell shaped instead of cylinder shaped.
 I'm not sure if Vermeer still offers it or not but they did make a baler
that the wheels steered. They were controlled by sensors in the bale chamber
so the baler would weave itself while the tractor was driving straight. My
CaseIH has sensors on the outside belts connected to a monitor that has
right and left indicators.

Dan