[Steam-engine] Handhole Gaskets

EJHottel at aol.com EJHottel at aol.com
Sat Jan 29 13:20:03 PST 2005

I have used asbestos, Bulldog, TopoG and made my own from red rubber,
neoprene, you name it. They would all blow out sometime. I finally solved that
problem with some new handhole plates from Cattail Foundry. They have a deeper
flange and seat better in the handhole. Cattail also furnishes gaskets which I
like better than the others I have used. They seem to be made of black rubber
with fabric reinforcing. With that combination I have never yet blown a
gasket.  I will keep my fingers crossed.
Interestingly enough when I got the engine in 1970 the handhole were
gasketed with leather.

Jack Hottel
1917 Peerless 50