[AT] O/T Meyers or Western plow

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Tue Jan 25 04:42:40 PST 2005

> Cecil,
>  I saw on the Turbo Diesel Register that a guy was criticizing
> another for using his Dodge to plow snow with. He said "Doesn't
> that fool know that's what the throw away Fords are for?"
> BTW, I really like my 01 Cummins 1 ton dually. Last MOPAR I
> owned was a 70 GTX. Been a GM man most all the time since I
> learned to drive. Much to my Dad's (Ford man) dismay.
> Rob

	I have a special spot in my heart for my Dodge 2500 4WD pickup
with the Cummins diesel. It is one helluva nice tow vehicle. The only
criticism I have of it on the road is the engine stays at the same pitch
so much of the time it can make you drowsy listening to it. That is
saying a lot considering most of my trips start out by taking I-80
across those PA mountains while towing either the 30 foot camper or an
equipment trailer. Mine is a 97 with 160K miles on it. Has the old style
and very loud Cummins diesel engine. The 98s came out with a much quieter
engine.

	I have had the 98 GMC one ton 4WD dump truck for a year and a half
now. It has the GM diesel. Doesn't have the power or the lugging strength
of the Dodge pickup but it is a dream to drive. Even my wife says you
would never know it is a dump truck by the nice ride. I don't have much
to say about that GM diesel except that it needs about 75 more horespower.
It is also a nice rig for plowing snow. Good visibility and good traction.
Nice handling and very nimble for a truck. This truck would be a lot better
if it had a standard transmission with a granny gear to help it get up hills
while towing a load. Too bad the transmission didn't come with 2WD low range.
This truck has 120K miles on it now and still drives like new.

	As to Fords, I've had quite a few of them. My last two were 4WDs -
one an F-250 pickup and the other an F-350 dump. Neither one would turn a
corner in 4WD without lunging as they turned.

	Some of the guys around here call the Ford diesels "Powersmokes."
I wouldn't know as I've never had the pleasure of owning a Ford with a
diesel engine.

Cecil

Cecil
what you said.