[AT] Charity auction

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Sun Jan 9 18:55:18 PST 2005

> I didn't realize how few people participated (I knew the number of
> donations was down, I didn't realize the number of bidders was down) when I
> posted the suggestion for the tsunami's victims.   Mainly because I don't
> make a habit of perusing the bids on item's I am not bidding on, just the
> summary screen.   At least not until the end of the auctions.   I figured
> participation was close to last year's bidding when I posted the tsunami's
> victim's post.

	Spencer, back when Norm was handling the auction site, he was pretty
good at keeping the subject in everyone's mind and stirring up interest in
it. There hasn't been much traffic on the List about it this year and not
much in the way of advertising either - no fault of anyone's - it's just the
way it went, I would say. Too bad we don't have another auctioneer on the
List that would take it over and run it like Norm did. It seems to me there
has been a steady decline in both bidders and sellers in the Charity auction
year by year since he left. I'm sure we could all contribute something if we
were poked with a stick now and then after Thanksgiving. The more items on
the auction, the more likely people will find something they want to bid on.
As for me, I bid on something every year just to contribute but don't always
have things I want to part with. This year I received a Christmas present
from one of the in-laws I wanted to contribute but I figured it was too late
to put it up for bids.

Cecil
what you said.

Cecil E Monson