[AT] stiff tractor day

Bob Seith seithr at denison.edu
Wed Jan 5 13:19:14 PST 2005

I remember sometime in the late 1960s that we had problems with heating
oil thickening up during a particularly nasty cold spell up in Northeast
Ohio. Temperatures went down between 15 and 20 below and stayed there
for a while. We had tanks of No. 1 heating oil standing outdoors that we
used to carry around in cans to fill space heaters throughout the farm
buildings.

I think there was an additive you could use. Fortunately, we had enough
oil stored indoors that it warmed up again before we got into trouble.

And about 15 years ago, I was living in Boston, Mass., during a cold
winter when the power steering in my CJ-5 Jeep went goofy. The wheel
would vibrate and the system would groan as if the steering was tearing
itself apart. Turned out I had ice crystals in the power steering fluid.

Bob Seith
1953 Farmall Cub