[AT] Did the List catch the flu?

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Sat Jan 29 19:10:31 PST 2005

Hi gang,

I'll throw in a few cents worth here having worked for a logging company
many years ago.  We always hauled the logs straight to the mill.  Most were
on the mill yard within hours of the chain saw or sheer cutting them down.
None stayed on the ground more than a few days.  Maybe cut  on Friday and if
it rained early in the week it could be Wed. before they got to the mill.
However, the mill would usually stack them in piles and set up sprinkler
systems to keep a mist of water on them until they got around to cutting
them.

I never thought to ask if they were trying to "age" them or if it was just a
matter of buying more than they could cut  right away.  Obviously they had
to buy when they could and have enough on hand to run the mill on the days
when the logs weren't comming in.

Charlie