[AJD] My new John Deere

Kyle Sands willys_46 at mail.com
Thu Jan 27 10:34:33 PST 2005

Chris, I don't know how many more JD's I can fit in my garage.  I've got nearly a dozen old snowmobiles right now and can't find a place to house them all under cover at this point.  But you know how that goes - a lack of storage space doesn't always prevent anyone from buying more toys.

I'll waste some badwidth and give you my impression on the Spitfire.  It is NOT a deep snow sled by any means.  My impression from talking with owners of other late JD models tells me they don't do so well in the powder either.  The Spitfire is a direct drive meaning there is no chaincase - the secondary clutch is mounted right on the drive axle.  As a result, the track has a very steep angle of attach in relation to the snow.  So the sled has to work pretty hard to get on top of the deep stuff.  It never really succeeds and sorta just plows through it until it loses momentum and you get stuck.  On hardpack or shallow powder however, it is a blast to ride!

Kyle