[Ford-ferguson] Re: Ford-ferguson Digest, Vol 8, Issue 15

Chris Britton c.britton at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jan 27 07:10:18 PST 2005

This is a common issue.  The front mounts used an oem ballast resistor
(A8NN 12250A or B)  .  If you went to 12v system, you would need the ballast
resistor and the dropping resistor ( 8ne10306 ).  You could also get a tisco
12v front mount coil, but would still need to use a 1/2 ohm 20 watt dropping
resistor to go in line with it. ( And not use the other 2 resistors
mentioned ).  The easiest way to get a 1/2 ohm 20 watt resistor is to buy a
2-pack of radio shack 1 ohm 10 watt resistors and solder them together in
parallel part # ( 271-131 ) .  Lots of the online distribuitors.. like just
8ns sell the 12v front mount tisco coil.

So you can either use the oem ballast resistor, a dropping resistor and the
oem 6v coil.. or a modern 12v tisco coil, and just the 1/2 ohm resistor I
mentioned.  Last option is for the electrically experienced, and that is to
convert to a moder real 12v round can type coil by building a blank
out/dummy plat to mount to your distribuitor...

Don't feel bad, electrical questions like this come up about 3 times a day
on the ford N forum at another board i frequent.

Soundguy