[AT] Belly mower specs

Herbert Metz metz-h.b at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 26 04:55:54 PST 2005

How much clearance should there be between end of cutting blade and overhang of cutting deck (measured horizontally)???    The cutting blades (2) on my 4' Sun belly mower (on Allis G) are really beat, so plans are to  replace them.    Present clearance is 1" on each; should I reduce that to 1/4" or leave at 1"?    Less clearance would help the blade discharge the cuttings, but would add load.    More clearance would reduce the effective cutting width.    What is the prevailing reasoning?    The present blades are 1/4" thick and the trailing edge is not turned up (to help discharge the cuttings).   In fact, the trailing edge is ground on the top side so the blade can be flipped to provide a second cutting edge.
Someone else had a Sun mower on an Allis G?   Would appreciate their contacting me.
Herb