[AJD] Wico Coil and Condensor testing with Multimeters

Bill Brueck b2 at chooka.net
Tue Jan 25 18:41:46 PST 2005

A meter can verify a bad coil or condensor, but it can't verify that one is
good.

Different coils will have different resistances, but I do have specs for a
Wico C coil, I expect the X will be similar.  The primary winding is rated
at .3 ohms.  Something more than 0 but not much.  The secondary winding is
rated at 7000 ohms.   And the coil can still fail under load, the current
from the meter isn't much of a test.

For the condensor, with the meter on high ohm range (x 10,000 or x 100,000)
the meter should deflect upon first contact but settle down quickly to
infinite or very high resistance: several meg.  Then put it aside for a
minute and do this again.  If the condensor holds a charge it will pick
right up with the same high resistance.  If it deflects again, it is
leaking.  Be sure to hook the leads up in the same polarity both times.

Hope that helps.

B²
Bill Brueck (brick)
Chatfield, MN, USA