[AT] Oliver 880 @ auction

Ronald L. Cook rlcook at pionet.net
Tue Jan 25 11:10:58 PST 2005

> On 24 Jan 2005 at 19:23, Dudley Rupert wrote:
>
>   But I am
>
>>curious, however, as to how the hay was brought in from the field to the
>>stacking area.  Was it brought using a wagon and then this hay stacker
>>unloaded the wagon and made the stack or was it some other way?

Here in western Iowa, we stacked loose hay(alfalfa) with an overshot
stacker until we got a DU-AL loader with a hay sweep/stacker option.  We
never had a Farmhand although several neighbors did.  My dad didn't
think they went high enough.  To bring the hay in, we went to the stack
with the hayrack when a load was needed.  Using a haysaw, we sawed the
stack appoximately in half and pitched the hay on the rack with
pitchforks.  That left at least half the stack with its protective
layer(hay laid with the fork to shed water) intact on the top.  Of
course, the hayrack was unloaded by hand and the livestock was fed by
hand.  We took good care of our pitchforks in those days.  No handles
left out in the weather and no tines used as prybars.<g>

Ron Cook
Salix, IA