[AJD] Re:Internet connections

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Tue Jan 25 06:31:41 PST 2005

Some of the technical short-comings of the Internet , as it exists today,
has to do with addressing and routing(how computers get a home on the
Internet and how do you get their data to them).  The Internet, as it was
initially conceived, could not see today's use and sheer number of
computers.  This was beyond anyone's comprehension and some problems were
created.  To correct some of these, some industry common use practices and
other "standards by caveat" emerged.  These have kept us humming along
nicely.  However, they weren't the final answer and aren't actually part of
the "Internet standard".

The Internet works by addressing and routing on a standard named IP.  The
newer and better standard that alleviate or removes the short-comings is
IPV6. We are using IPV4.  BTW, 4 and 6 pertain to technical aspects of the
data packets, they aren't version numbers. so don't ask me what happened to
IPV5 (-;  This is a sea change though and hasn't been implemented yet
because for it to work, everyone has to do IPV6.  While most equipment you
buy is IPV6 compatible and most important Internet software like DNS and
Web serving software are ready, not everyone or everything is, especially
in foreign countries.   Therefore, it will take another few years.

This isn't Internet2 though

Internet2 happened when many leaders in the industry (which thank God isn't
businesses yet) took the opportunity and example the transition to IPV6
created and decided we needed to use to opportunity to realize that more
than just addressing and routing needed to be looked at.  How we think
about software, the Internet, and important software that empowers the
Internet should be freshly examined and a new larger vision for what it
could be needs to be developed.  I agree.

That re-examination and vision development and the results of those
endeavors is what Internet2 is.  While it is a much more than the IPV4 to
IPV6 transition, it arose out of that effort.(in fact,  IPV6 migration is
right at the top of its fact sheet).

Spencer Yost
Owner, ATIS
Plow the Net!