[AT] Now Trucks pulling tractors

Wayne Snelling wsnelling at southplainscollege.edu
Mon Jan 24 14:12:32 PST 2005

Actually the std tranny is not the option. It will require service
before the auto. I am on my second auto diesel Ford and the reason I
switched to the Ford was as much the tranny as the Int diesel engine.
Got tired of limping home on the GM engine/tranny (not the newer IZ and
Allison). I have had two of the Ford Int diesels 7.3 and the trannyof
both never failed. Now if you pull something stupid and get the tranny
hot-yep you have to call for a tow, but that actually applies to any
including the lighter engines and trannys.
I have pulled multiple tractors many miles and never a failure with the
Ford tranny. Now, I do have a friend that is on his second one but he
abuses, get it hot and thinks he should be able to keep going.  He says
when the auto goes in the Ford it sounds like a bomb went off underneath.
Now, my contention with the Ford is it rides like a wagon and you never
know which direction the front end is going, even the new ones.
My pick would be the Allison tranny behind a Cummins in a GM heavy truck!