[AT] OT: Weather ramble-Plow vs. bucket

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Mon Jan 24 13:00:21 PST 2005

Karl
Up here dozer blades are very common and most farms have at least one. Farm
auctions are a good place to find them although the newer heavier blades are
not cheap to buy. The old lightweights like my Cancade are cheap to buy but
can be seriously damaged if they are installed on a big tractor and the
operator tries to push or lift more than the blade was ever designed to.
One of the strongest older blades that I have seen is the Leon, built right
here in Sask. I modified the push bar on one of these 7 footers last year to
fit on my 730 Case. I pushed a lot of trees and stones through the summer
and fall with no sign of breaking or bends. Of course theres only 57 hp
behind it.
My Cancades are light and I know I am pushing my luck with the 8 foot I have
installed on a 108 hp 2090 Case. But so far, so good. I mostly use it for
snow now. I found out some years ago that the frame would twist when I tried
to push trees down with 108 hp and maybe 16,000 pounds of tractor behind it.
My front end loader on the Massey is also a light Cancade, re-inforced and
welded many times over the years by previous owners. I find this Super 90 MF
to be light in the back and easily runs out of traction in ice or snow so I
rarely use it for that purpose.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/