[AT] Oliver 880 @ auction

dfolske at nccray.net dfolske at nccray.net
Mon Jan 24 06:50:07 PST 2005

On 23 Jan 2005 at 20:28, Dudley Rupert wrote:

> You're right, that is a nice looking tractor but I am sitting here wondering
> what on earth that "contraption" mounted on it is used for.  From the size
> of the "bucket" it must have been used to pick up relatively light material
> like say loose hay or maybe a half dozen or so small bales.  I can't see the
> lift cylinders on it ... but it's hard to imagine it going very high off the
> ground.
The loader appears to be an F-10 or F-25? Farmhand.  They are very
high lift loaders. I would guess this one is the F-25 which is the higher lift
version. It does stick forward more than the F-10's I've used.  This one
looks like it has a manure fork with adapter plates for use as a bucket.
For stacking loose hay it would have had a hay basket or "sweep" on it
with 12 to 14 teeth mounted 10 to 12 inches apart. The teeth would have
been 6, 8 or even 10 feet long.

We had an older style with a bridge framework over the top on an A JD.
Because the loader mounts behind the rear axle it can actually carry a
bigger load than many modern front end loaders. With an 8 1/2 foot wide
snow bucket 3 feet deep and 3 feet high it would move a lot of snow.

The lift cylinders are the bottom tubes. They are longer than the tractor
!