[AT] OT: Weather ramble-Plow vs. bucket

HaliganBar at aol.com HaliganBar at aol.com
Sun Jan 23 19:21:12 PST 2005

Well Bruce I can happily report that the LL Bean Boot Socks and my Bean
Hunting Boots did a fine job keeping my feet warm and dry. The new Balaclava and my
knit cap kept my head and ears warm. It worked out to be a much better
combination than a hood because it doesn't impair my peripheral vision.

Funny you should mention the limitations of a bucket for snow removal...I was
thinking the same thing today. I have a regular 5' material bucket on my
tractor now. It doesn't hold much and the rear wheels stick out an additional 6"
on each side of it. So between the snow that spills out the sides and the edges
that get mashed by the rear wheels, I spend a lot of time "cleaning up." My
first thought was to get a plow and mount it in the bucket so I could plow with
it or disconnect it quickly and use the bucket to move banks or scoop areas
that don't lend themselves to a plow. The down side of the plow is that it
would stick out a lot and may push the front end around when the plow is angled

My second thought is to build a snow bucket for winter use. I'd make it 6 1/2
or 7 feet wide. Maybe use some expanded metal on the upper parts to save
weight and would probably be a lot of fun to fabricate. The only down side would
be moving the wet, heavy snow we somtimes get.

So, what do you guys think..plow or big bucket?
Karl

In a message dated 1/23/05 7:37:16 PM Eastern Standard Time, ROBBRUT at aol.com