[AT] OT: Weather ramble-nothin' runs

CEE VILL cvee60 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 23 13:12:15 PST 2005

Located about 250 miles NE of you Rob, I had the same situation.  Saturday
was up and down between 0 and 3 degrees and snowed all day with wind.  I
decided to wait until today to plow so hopefully once would be enough.
Thought I would start the f-250 with the plow and move it where it would not
be so burried by drifting.  It has had the block heater plugged in since the
beginning of last week when I last plowed.  It started in about two turns,
ran good for a couple minutes, then starved for fuel and quit.  I had just
put in five gallons of new fuel and some conditioner, so it is a long ways
form out.  About 3/4 of a tankfull.  I waited a while before cranking it
enough to draw more fuel and get it started.  Warmed it enough to get onto
slow idle and left it run while I moved another truck out of the way.  When
I came back, The Ford was surging so I got in and raised the RPM"s some
hoping it would clean up, but alas, it starved and died again.  I guess the
fuel is geled or has water, but the water indicator light has not been on
except for the test.  I put a 500w lamp under the fuel tank for about five
hours, but no help.  The filter may be iced??

I thought about my Farmall M with the snow bucket, but that is on jacks
becaues one of the almost new rear tires is leaking calcium and I know the
battery is shot for a while now. Meanwhile there is about 12-16 inches of
snow all over the place.  When I first went out today, I put a heat lamp on
the block of my elderly 8 hp snowblower.  That will not start at zero unless
I warm it up some.  After about 1/2 hour, I started pulling the rope and got
the tecumseh running. I worked the old girl for three hours steady and got
things pretty well cleaned up until the drifting fills it all back in. I
guess someone decided that all that walking behind in the cold wind is good
for my health.  The bottom line is that even that sure beats a snow shovel
by a long ways.  If anyone wants a job with no pay and lots of satisfaction,
I could use a hired man to keep 20 or 30 machines running.  I don't keep up
with it by myself.

Charlile V. in wintery WNY

PS.  I knew an older man who ran a small rented gas station in the 1960's.
His frequent comment was that the only thing that worked around there was
him.  Guess we all know the feeling. (girns stolen from Cecil).