[AJD] Tractor tie downs

Louis louis at kellnet.com
Fri Jan 21 20:22:47 PST 2005

I guess I didn't quite say what I wanted to say.  I should of said: In
some states they want all trucks to pull across the scale. Non-Comm and
Commercial, if you are over a certain gvwr, they want you on the scales.
That is what I have experienced.  I have notice in different states they
post different weight requirement for pulling across the scale.  Some
state post signs that basically say ALL trucks over XXXX gross weight
must enter scales.  I have seen those signs with 8000# gross weight.
Now the question is, is that gvwr or total weight?  If it is gvwr,
basically all heavy 3/4 ton P/U's and up have to enter the scale.  If it
is gross weight, I have to enter when I have my trailer on.  In these
states, I see 1 ton cube vans in the line going to the scales, so I
assume they are probably going by gvwr.

I am not even coming close to claiming to know it all, because I don't
even know a tenth of DOT regulations.  I know enough to keep myself out
of  trouble.  If the sign indicates that I need to enter the scale, I am
going.  I would rather get a wave on by the scalekeeper, than red
flashing lights by the man.

I need to correct what I said in my other post.  I have been red lighted
four times.  I was east of Cleveland, OH on I-90.  I had my uncle's L800
straight truck going to Erie, PA to pick a load.  My uncle said before I
left, he hoped that I didn't have any trouble at the scale east of
Cleveland.  I asked why, he said the tires were getting bald.  He was
trading the truck in soon and didn't want to put tires on it.  Well, I
got red lighted at the scale.  I went in the scale house.  The DOT man
said that he didn't see a fuel sticker on the truck.  I said I am pretty
sure it is there.  This guy was pretty decent.  He said let's go out and
look.  He walked right past the bald tires, he had to see them.  He saw
the fuel sticker was on the truck, and told me to have a nice day.

Lou