[AT] message lag

robinson at svs.net robinson at svs.net
Fri Jan 21 07:28:47 PST 2005

On 19 Jan 2005 at 16:20, Ronald L. Cook wrote:

> Very bad here today.  I responded to a message this morning about noon
> Central time.  Haven't seen it yet.  As a matter of fact the latest one
> I have received is stamped 9:29.  It is now 4:20 PM here.
>
> Ron Cook
> Salix, IA

	There is a lot more going on here than "normal" web lag. I can't claim to
understand it but the common explanations given by various members about it
being normal for list mail just don't cut it. I own a dozen list and I am on a
whole herd more and none have these kinds of lag. My own list are all on Yahoo
Groups and much of the time if I hit send on a message by the time the regular
screen is back up on my email client I can hit the check mail button and my
message is back to me already. When there is a delay it is rarely more than 10
minutes. Most of the time we on those list can almost carry on an un-
interrupted conversation back and forth even with overseas members. A lot of
the genealogy list I am on are on Rootsweb.com and message time is pretty much
always in a few minutes, not hours. The last several messages I have sent here
are in hours and one came back the next day.
	I cannot begin to say if it is something in the nature of Spencers servers or
how in some way his list mail is identified or if it might somehow be the first
"station" (for lack of a better word) that mail coming to or leaving his server
hits or what the situation is. Maybe they snag on Clingman's Dome (in the
Smokies). Maybe it all has to pass through the CIA...   ;-)    I do know that
he works hard to provide the best service he can so I tend to place blame on
something between his servers and my dialup connection. Not being able to
identify it I usually just call it #$%&  %&$#  #&%$ ! ! !     ;-)
	While it "is" an annoyance at times it is certainly something I can tolerate
in order to be on the list. Few of my messages are time critical. Even with
those warts I am just glad that the list is here and do try to thank Spencer
from time to time for it...  (Thanks Spencer).  :-)

Going out at 10:22 Indiana time.
--
farmer, Esq.
      Wealth beyond belief, just no money...