[AJD] OT more Trucking Questions

Chris C jdnutinwa at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 21 09:46:59 PST 2005

    I have been watching the trailer/tie down
discussion for some time now,  and I am not entirely
sure that these are new rules?   I have had a CDL
since the laws changed in April or May of 1992 Making
and single vehilce over 26,000 a class B and any
combination over 26,000 a class A.  I remember having
to argue with the drivers I supervised at the rental
shop over 4 point tie down versus 2 quite some time
ago (It's been almost 5 years since I left that job)
and it seems to me like that 4 points over 10,000 was
the rule then.

    Anyway,  I am about to venture into the NOT FOR
HIRE trucking venue to haul my old stuff around.  I am
looking at a 1970 Kenworth W900 with a day cab and
have a 35 ton low boy and a 40' flatbed to move things
on depending on whether the load it tractors or cats
or dragline.  Does anyone operate this way?  Any
pitfalls I should look for?   My goal is to be able to
haul my tractors to the three or four shows I go to
each summer,  and to go out and  pick up a new jem
from time to time.   For the most part it will be all
instate travel.  The truck will probably be liscensed
to the farm and used to haul farm machinery as well,
but that depends on differences between liscense fees
and insurance.    Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

                  Chris