[AT] Was Serious Restoration Now philosophy

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Wed Jan 19 15:46:26 PST 2005

I don't mean to imply that we should follow the lead of the collector car
crowd or push our hobby in that direction but they more or less set the
standard by which "vehicle" restoration is judged.

It is perfectly acceptable to put a reproduction part or a fabricated part
on a collector car if you can't find a new old stock part or a used part of
acceptable quality.  However, the judges can tell it's not original and they
deduct points when the car is judged.

I think that in a less formal manner that is what is happening or will
happen in our hobby.  You could build a tractor around a few parts or even a
serial # plate and folks would judge it by the quality of workmanship but it
wouldn't fool many folks that really know that particular brand and model of
tractor.  A new casting made in someone's shop would not have all the
casting marks or even the same defects as the new one would.

My thinking is that if you own it, you want to fix it, you have the skill to
fix it and the money to fix it, then go for it.  Someone that goes to the
trouble of building molds to cast new major parts is not going to try and
pass it off as original.  If they did they wouldn't be able to brag about
their work.

Charlie