[AT] Backing up tractor pictures(VHS to CD)

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Wed Jan 19 09:31:21 PST 2005

LOL!  One of the reasons I'm "up" on this stuff right now, Cecil, is
because I've been running into the same problem -- exactly!  I've looked
everywhere in the configuration stuff of the software for a way of
reassigning the location of the temporary files and haven't found it.  I
depend mostly on Roxio (I've had versions 4, 5, and 6).  I have Nero,
Ulead, Power DVD, and several others also, but when push comes to shove
I really like to work with Roxio.

I finally decided to bite the bullet and uninstall Roxio 6 on all my
computers and to upgrade to Roxio 7, and to set it up so that it's in a
really big partition.  If I can, I'm going to install it on my external
hard drive (160 Gigabytes) or at least use the external hard drive for
all the temporary files.  I'm in the process of doing that (been at it
for better than a week) but seriously, I'm doing so much stuff with
tractors right now that I haven't had the chance to devote the time to
the changeover of software for the video work.

Roxio 7 has been out for about a year.  PC Magazine continues to rate it
as the best media manipulation software on the market, and Microsoft is
gearing up to come out with a new package to go head-to-head with Roxio.

I use a combination of software for audio work.  I rip using Windows
Media Player DME (Digital Media Extensions).  The Analog Recorder
software program that is a part of that package is super smooth to use.
The whole package is available for $14.95 (street price) and all it
takes to make the connection is a $5.00 stereo audio patch cable from
Radio Shack to go from the Headphone socket on your audio amplifier to
the Line Input socket on your computer.  Editing is a breeze, labeling
is super simple, pop and hiss removal is assessed by the software and
applied as needed.  It's so efficient at doing this that I don't even
bother cleaning records prior to ripping the sound off of them.  I then
burn CD's using Roxio, and I print the labels and crystal case inserts
using Roxio also.  Roxio will pick up and use the labeling that is done
during the ripping process.

I have the "Drag to Disk" feature activated on all my computers so that
I can burn ANY file on a CD at any time.  This is particularly handy for
the digital image work that I do.

FWIW, you can shop wherever you wish, but you'll end up buying at
Staples.  Places like Best Buy and Office Depot will have software
priced at the MSRP level with a rebate coupon attached.  Staples will
have it priced below the MSRP, and will still have the same rebate.
Wal-Mart and Sam's club will have the software at a lower price yet, but
if you look at the fine print on the rebate coupons you'll find that
purchases from several stores (including Sam's Club and Wal-Mart) are
excluded from the rebate program.

Larry