[AT] Was Serious Restoration Now philosophy

John Boehm rustyacres at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 19 07:15:50 PST 2005

Along these same lines, the latest issue of Two
Cylinder lists a serial number plate, original manual,
and some old photos for a John Deere Dain tractor.
Asking price is $25,000. Besides this plate, there are
3 known examples of this tractor; one is complete, one
running and misssing some original parts, and one that
is mostly a just a frame with serial tag.

There is next to no chance of finding a "parts"
tractor to put this tag on. If someone buys it, what
will they do with it? Put it in a picture frame on the
wall (most likely a safe deposit box at the bank,
never to be seen in public again)? Try to build a
replica tractor to put it on at a prohibitive cost?
Even if they produced the replica tractor, the
existing real ones are well documented and serious
collectors would know that it was a replica. In my
mind, the replica would not be worth nearly as much as
one of the originals, even though the cost to produce
it would be astronomical. This hobby is getting crazy
when an 85 year old piece of brass measuring 3 inches
by 5 inches has that kind of price tag on it.

John Boehm
Woodland, CA
Visit my web site at http://vintagetractors.com