[AJD] Physics 101

Karl Olmstead olmstead at ridgenet.net
Tue Jan 18 17:04:12 PST 2005

1.  Gasoline engines need a richer mixture in order to run when very cold.
That's what the choke is for.
2.  Gasoline is less volatile, so the mixture tends to be leaner.  Some of
the fuel puddles in the intake manifold or cylinders instead of remaining in
the fuel/air mixture.
3.  Thick oil and grease make starter less efficient (human or electric).
4.  More probability of moisture condensing in the distributor or mag and on
the plug wires, reducing voltage available at the tip of the sparkplug.
5.  Battery output drops very rapidly as the temperature goes down.

I don't think you're more likely to suck a gob of oil, but the oil doesn't
want to be blown up into the filter portion of the air cleaner, so less
washing of the filter element takes place.  Judging from what I've seen the
past two weeks, you're much more likely to get water in the filter bowl,
which raises the oil level and may cause oil ingestion.  I have a Farmall
that is dripping oil out of the bowl for that very reason.  Gotta get it
drained before it causes rust.

-karl