[AT] computer problems

George Willer gwill at toast.net
Tue Jan 18 06:53:44 PST 2005

Phil,

I may have been misunderstood when I praised my new thumb drive.  I DO think
it's an amazing device and am very happy I have it.  My primary use is to
move files, not to save them... but that was another possibility.

There are many methods of backing up files and most are relatively easy to
do.  The one we use is in addition to the occasional CD is to duplicate all
the important (to us) stuff on each other's computers.  We have four
computers networked through an ethernet hub, so all the stuff we want to
save is regularly sent to another computer.  Each computer's data files are
on a partitioned drive separate from the operating system so the data files
are somewhat smaller than otherwise.

Right now, I'm having trouble getting the new laptop to join the network so
the thumb drive has been very useful to transfer files.  I may never worry
further about the network problem.  The reason for wanting to is to be able
to transfer pictures taken while on trips back to home base.  That will
allow taking much higher quality pictures at Portland, for example, and
downloading the large files to the laptop to free space on the camera.  The
thumb drive will make it easy to move them to the PC.

George Willer